- Next merge: 2014-10-13
Topics for This Week
- Tablet refresh update from Anthony and Yuan [10mins]
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.
- Vikneshwar fixed bug 1053994 – Paste & Go attempts a Google search instead of recognizing a bookmark keyword
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
- Actually made progress on MediaCodec patch[es].
- Output going through SurfaceTexture, which avoids all of the YUV conversion insanity. This should be highly reliable and performant once finished up.
- Now working on stability fixes, learned a lot about how to use MediaCodec from Grafika, a collection of samples made available by Google (or a googler): https://github.com/google/grafika/
- Landed the Android support for the network change notifications. We should do a lot better now when you switch wifi -> 3g, etc.
Alan K. (ack)
- WebRTC refactoring to break DOM deps
- Finished with feedback for cloudsync aurora uplift, should land soon
- 888482 – Initialize Gecko thread sooner during cold startup
- 1062377 – Load profile.ini in background if possible
- 1066760 – Make abort crashes easier to diagnose
- 1067018 – crash in mozilla::gfx::SourceSurfaceAlignedRawData::InitWithStride(mozilla::gfx::IntSizeTyped<mozilla::gfx::UnknownUnits> const&, mozilla::gfx::SurfaceFormat, int, bool)
- 1073328 – Only use actual system uncaught handler
- 1010770 – Intermittent testANRReporter | application timed out after 330 seconds with no output
- 1046307 – Intermittent test_ThreadHangStats.js | test failed (with xpcshell return code: 0) | false == true
- 1073540 – crash in java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Native method not found: org.mozilla.gecko.util.NativeJSObject.optString:(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String; at org.mozilla.gecko.util.NativeJSObject.optString(Native Method)
- 1075644 – Follow-up to initializing Gecko thread sooner
- Working on an add-on to make logcat/JS errors more visible
- 1059573 – Add support to using DSP-based echo canceller and noise suppressor
- 1074196 – Nightly/Aurora startup crash spike in nsUrlClassifierPrefixSet::Contains(unsigned int, bool*)
- WebRTC standboxing investigation
- Investigate new method for implementing standalone WebRTC.
- Investigate new method for implementing standalone WebRTC.
- Investigate sending H.264 instead of VP8 video to standalone WebRTC.
- Landed bug 1034114 – WebApp startup slowed significantly by debug server
- Landed bug 1072639 – Notification event handlers not triggered for web apps webapp notification context
- Fixed & landed bug 1051654 – APKs for previous versions of Nightly and Aurora stick around in Downloads
- Fixed & landed bug 896735 – App update fails if Download folder doesn’t exist
- Janus Proxy (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus)
- Applied workaround for image compression issue (low quality images may increase in size temporarily)
- Land bug 1071831 – HTML5 video playback is not paused in the browser after opening in external player
- Fix bug 1022669 – Display does not turn off while playing audio
- Look into bug 942736 – Page-position when going back a page is not always remembered when conducting a scroll on prior page and then hitting back
- Janus Proxy fixes and improvements
- bug 1074189 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoApplication.onActivityResume$642b2292(GeckoApplication.java)
- bug 1054035 – Block about urls in guest mode
- bug 1071116 – crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid value for param: totalBytes at android.app.DownloadManager.addCompletedDownload(DownloadManager.java)
- bug 1070797 – crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: mimeType cant be null at android.app.DownloadManager.validateArgumentIsNonEmpty(DownloadManager.java)
- bug 1072332 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.db.PerProfileDatabases.getDatabaseHelperForProfile(PerProfileDatabases.java)
- bug 1071091 – System download manager needs a build time pref
- bug 1072376 – Regression: Open/Close animation of the tabs tray and menu is sluggish
- bug 1063541 crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wifi:Enable was not registered at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.unregisterListener(EventDispatcher.java)
- bug 1071076 – Search button on keyboard doesn’t work with the search widget in error pages
- bug 1056002 – Experiment tinting Android’s statusbar with our tabs tray background color
- bug 1061508 – Consider fading edge in toolbar’s title instead of ellipsis
- bug 1070029 – Fade last character on labels rather than use “…”
- bug 1072414 – Use outsideOverlay scrollbar style in pre-search UI
- bug 1074208 – Tweak tab curve
- bug 1073066 – Reader mode menu background color is inconsistent with new toolbar grey
- bug 1065494 – Put the new tablet UI behind a build flag
- bug 1073474 – Fix resource dependency issues in new tablet UI (affects SDK9-only builds)
- (Preliminary investigation) bug 1067425 – Screen goes black when invoking the share overlay on Android L
- Initial Probe and dspec runs in Fennec
- Lots of reviews
- Fix fallout from status bar tinting or backout feature
- Wrap-up tab strip bits for the current engineering milestone
- Onboarding follow-ups (bug 1072831, bug 1074570)
- bug 1059792 – Hunting down non-locally-reproducible rc failure
- Search activity – bug 1068411
- Contextual hints
- 782360 – Documentation links for mobile add-on development are wrong
- 1049108 – Change default search provider to Bing
- 1062397 – Add support for MozParam url parameters in search plugin parser
- 1062979 – Reorganize settings
- 1050457 – Search activity edit field has border on Android 4.1
- 1063193 – Performing searches with Wikipedia search engine immediately launches Fennec
- 1063703 – Add brand colors to built-in search plugins
- 1064152 – Properly handle intent:// URIs
- 1065891 – Keep Fennec default search engine pref in sync with search activity default pref
- 996753 – Add telemetry for Settings usage
- 1058352 – Default search engine probe recording null instead of “other”
- 1074204 – Wrong android:summary text to Settings Sync on Gingerbread devices
- 1064867 – Light-weight theme for ‘Firefox Privacy Coach’
- 1075219 – Update the colors of about:addons
- 1075232 – Record which suggestion of the search screen was tapped in telemetry
- 1074933 – Autophone – webappstartup Throbber stop regression 2014-09-29
- 1076351 – Initialize the search activity default engine pref with the user’s default search engine
- 1041604 – Update search bar when user taps a suggestion in the web view results
- Browser toolbar refresh
- bug 1058909 – Implement new tablet toolbar display mode
- bug 1071878 – Sites without favicons should show an empty rectangle rather than a globe
- bug 1071226 – Refine private browsing new tablet browser toolbar
- bug 1073449 – Regression: the default favicon icon looks too big on phones
- bug 1072466 – Update new tablet assets
- Browser toolbar refresh
- bug 1071267 – Revise door hanger behavior in new tablet toolbar
- bug 1019127 – Remove updateChildrenEnabledStateForEditing
- bug 960746 – Back/forward button state can get out of sync on tablets
- bug 1070087 – Discuss new tablet menu bar button size
- bug 1072464 – Discuss new tablet forward button size
- bug 1072469 – Discuss new tablet browser toolbar height
- bug 1075531 – Robocop failures in larch due to changes in toolbar
- bug 1020534 – Tablet toolbar icons hard to read on dark lightweight themes
- Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along
- bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
- bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
- bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests
- bug 1058902 – Implement new tablet browser toolbar editing mode
- Project Vancouver. Writeup to follow this week, along with more work.
- ~1 day PTO.
- FxA metrics investigation for board stuff.
- Lots of Sync and FHR randomization — reviews (e.g., bug 675397, questions (e.g., pagination), Dispensing Hard-won Experience®.
- Mobile reviews. Backlog built up last week, which I’m burning through now.
- bug 1045053 is awaiting bnicholson review.
- Code: Remote Tabs home panel UI polish tickets landing this week. Split pane tablet view still outstanding.
- Code: Re-landing bug 1065306 because Python and Unicode is a match made in heaven.
- Testing: working on first pass at test runner for instrumentation tests in automation (meta bug is bug 1064004).
- IDEs: meeting with mhaigh to discuss Android best practices and Android Studio integration tomorrow morning.
- 899643 – Refresh Remote Tabs list visual style
- 1064162 – The URL displayed under tab titles in the Synced Tabs panel disappears for a while after choosing “Open in New Tab”/”Open in Private Tab”
- 1069648 – Add instrumentation manifests to moz.build
- 1070057 – Make TestResolver.resolve_tests filter by subsuite
- 1072954 – Issues with hidden/unhidden devices on Synced Tabs
- 1064177 – Synced Tabs panel shouldn’t be present in Guest Mode
- 1038354 – Switch to tab toast doesn’t work in editing mode
- 1063750 – Message to users that the Remote Tabs tray is now a home panel
- 1068051 – Low res drawables for devices used in the synced tabs panel
- 1068365 – Make collapsed Remote Clients look grayed out
- 1068366 – Update “Hidden devices” footer visual style in Remote Tabs home panel
- Laptop died – much stress
- Bug 1066905 – Merge TabRow.java and TabsLayoutItemView.java
- Been talking to IDEA about group IntelliJ licence – they’ve offered us a three month group trial licence with a review after based on uptake.
- Bug 1063586 – Audit tab related XML files to use new terminology
- Bug 1066546 – Move new tab and overflow menu icons in the tabs layout to the top whilst in portrait mode
- Bug 1075576 – Change the TabsLayoutAdapter API to use TabsLayoutItemView instead of the generic View
- Post of how to develop Fennec in IntelliJ – basic step through instructions written
- Talked to Lastpass about how to get native password integration in Fx – have code back from them but interested to discuss topic with others before doing anything.
- 1054959 – Add ‘send videos’ and ‘send tabs’ from desktop to a second screen
- 1074567 – measure time spent processing in sync CPOW calls per compartment
- Tablet V1 wrap up
- Firefox Search V1 wrap up
- Toolbar improvements V1 wrap up
- bug 1071730: Working on ideas to improve search on Fennec
- General UI clean up bugs
- Worked on search/edit mode on tablet. Get to v1 and v2 scope this week.
- Synced up with FxOS UX Taiwan about copy + paste interactions
- Continue to follow up with the UX for search engine update
- Discussions about lightweight onboarding. Get to a few concepts for full “Get started” this week.
- Menu Reorganization – Tools is now Page tools bug 1072678
- Menu Reorganization – Settings bug 1073294
- Menu Reorganization – Customize bug 1073285
- N2R landing page and icon – http://people.mozilla.org/~randersen/privacy-coach/. Currently blocked waiting on copy.
- Project 105 concepts
- Provided feedback on bug 1064867
- Myk still distracted by another project
- making progress on hiring for open position
- needinfo Myk for urgent issues
- Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: conference# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
- CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
- CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room